What will happen to our oceans in 50 years?
Plastic pollution kills over a million animals every year.
You read that right... Over a million.
And that's not the only crime which plastic is guilty for;
- It can take some plastic bottles 1000 years to biodegrade!
- Our yearly plastic waste is enough to circle the Earth 4 times.
- The harmful plastic toxins such as BPA leach into seawater, is eaten by fish, which ends up on your plate and in your body.
- 93% of Americans age six or older test positive for BPA.
- Virtually every plastic bottle ever made still exists today in some form, and is still destroying life in the sea.
One of the statistics we found disturbing is that; 'Plastic is set to outweigh fish in the ocean by 2050', take a moment to think about all the millions of fish in our oceans from the largest whales to the smallest goldfish.
Now imagine all those fish replaced as pieces of plastic, from bottles to straws, from wrappers to containers, THAT is the predicted future unless we make the switch towards sustainable, renewable materials.
As of TODAY, the ocean is filled with 165 Million tons of plastic. To put that into context: it's 25 times heavier than the Pyramid of Giza or the equivalent of 18.5 Million Double Decker buses.
In terms of pieces of plastic, it is believed that there are 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic debris in the ocean. 269,000 tons float on the surface, which invites unwary creatures to swallow mistaking it for food. While 4 Billion plastic microfibers per square kilometers litter the deep sea, poisoning the homes of millions of majestic creatures.
In the time it has taken you to read this article at least one garbage truck worth of plastic has been dumped into the ocean. If no action is taken, this is expected to increase to two per minute by 2030 and four per minute by 2050.
The easiest and most effective change we can make is removing single use plastics from our life. Each person can prevent over 200 plastic bottles a year entering the ocean by switching to a reusable option.
It's time to break the cycle. Make The Switch.